Sunday, March 25, 2007

To heaven & back, with 'enlightened moderation'

Last week out of blue, dropping my plans for Egypt & Turkey, I decided some thing different, some thing for no reason I was hesitant to go for, a vacation in Pakistan. My concern was never terrorism, as I don't fit the profile either ways. So packed my bags, took what ever flight available & started my trip.

The natural beauty of the country, I tapped in 1 week was much more than what I had seen in my whole life. In 6 hours, climate changes from 30*C to 0*C, scenery changes from barren grounds to lush green mountains & elevation reaching up to 7000 ft. But the most interesting part was the people!!

I had read alot about prosperity reaching the country & enlightened moderation changing the political scenarios. First impression, I was surprised; but it lasted in 15 minutes & after crossing the hi end colonies, life changed & changed to bitter realities. Broken roads, dusty atmosphere, noisy 3 wheelers & top of all shattered faces. Every face has a story to tell, some sound pleasant but mostly bitter; bitter enough to tangle your thoughts.

A 20 minutes ride in the downtown city is good enough to intake pollution, you would absorb in a city like Dubai in 6 months. Commodities are expensive & utilities not reachable every where; schooling either shabby or expensive. If clean water is available, then the question is how clean is clean. Dyrea, H-B & Typhoid cases are every where, but Doctors! what can they do???

What ever good or bad I saw is baseless, coz 5% of the rich social class is living a Best In Class life, great roads, excellent schools, state of art facilities & cafes second to non. Guys wear Armani's & gals ofcourse wear traditional dress 'Shalwar Kameez', which is modified short enough to call Shalwar a hipster & the long Kameez a blouse. This is called enlightened moderation, happiness of 5% at the cost of 95%.
I am confident one day Pakistan would be a prosperous nation, a nation made for the survival of a niche bunch. But, what would happen to the rest? Either they would learn to live a dejected life or blood would find its way out.
Let's hope for the best.....

No comments: